Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Introduction

Do you want to draw better? I do. I know that the only thing that makes one better at drawing is to draw, but it is hard to find the time. It really shouldn't be. It takes only 20 or 30 minutes a day to make a drawing, but it seems I rarely make that little space of drawing time. So I decided to start a drawing blog! My hope is that some of you will join with me and we will draw together.

I pondered how to start—there are so many ways to draw, so many books to study, so many kinds of drawing media. In the end I think the best place to start is to just draw. So, if you want to follow along, take off your shoe and draw it. Use any kind of pen or pencil you like. Look carefully at your shoe. Notice the details. Notice the proportions. Draw it carefully. Erase if you need to. Toss it away and start over if you need to, but don't spend more than 30 minutes on it. Don't worry if it isn't perfect. This is your starting point. Write the date on it. Put it away and save it. You will enjoy looking at it later to see how much your drawing has improved!

Who's with me?

9 comments:

  1. I love this idea!
    I have always wanted to draw and paint. I think that is why I stitch using the floss as paint!
    Unfortunately I don't seem to have a wit of talent towards it, but I'd love to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I whine? I'm with ya, if I can whine sometimes. Okay Miss Howard, let's do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently retired from education, although my major was art. My focus was pottery, so drawing always took a back burner. I recently joined a group on Facebook called Every Day in May which has a daily drawing challenge. It's been great to help me stay motivated to draw everyday, but it's about to end. This is coming along at just the right time. So I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will agree knowing I always start out with a bang then dwindle. Having your blog(s) on my homepage will at least be a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted to be able to draw realistically, so I'm up for the challenge....now to find my pencils, and eraser of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun. I'm a bit of a bang-dwindle too though, so we shall see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good idea. I rarely find the time to sit down and draw a picture. I have lots of quick idea sketches in my sketchbook but not many drawings.

    I would like to draw faster and looser. When I sit down to draw something I see, I usually get tight and caught up in making it look realistic.

    We'll see what we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I graduated with a degree in graphic design and fine art 31 years ago. Like many, it was too hard to make a decent living at it and the dream got sidetracked. I've been making art quilts for a few years now, but my drawing and painting demons won't let me alone. Thanks for giving me the impetus to feed the empty void.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Though by no means am I an accomplished drawer I do draw everyday. Sometimes it is just a quick little bit of a drawing but since I have started the daily draws I see such improvement from the first ones! I love that your putting a blog about this out here, I will be following along!

    ReplyDelete